Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cheese Puffs Are so French


This is one of the testiest things I have ever eaten! They always looked scary to make. What if they did not puff up, what if the dough would be too lumpy to even bake! In the end, it all turned out great!
The dough literally takes 5 minutes to prepare and they bake for about 15 minutes; you know, until "golden brown". 


Ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- four eggs
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water


First things first, I set the oven to preheat at 425F. The temperature is the utmost importance in this recipe. If the oven is not hot enough, the puffs do not puff and "the sun is not shiny". 


After I dealt with the oven, I combined the water, the milk, and the butter into a sauce pan. The butter melted and the liquid heated ever so slightly in about 3 minutes at medium heat on the stove.


When the liquid was hot but not quite boiling, I took the saucepan off the heat and I added the flour stirring really fast until it formed into dough.


I added the four eggs to the dough.


I switched to a potato masher and I stirred vigorously until all the eggs incorporated into the dough. I do not like using mixers and food processors in my kitchen. So I experiment with all sorts of kitchen utensils until I find the right one. Hence, the potato masher.


Last, I added the grated cheese and I mixed it well into the dough.


I would describe the consistency of the dough a little thicker than cupcake batter. I does not pour but, at the same time, it's not a dough you can roll.


I used a coffee spoon to form the puffs. I did not brush them with egg and they still crisped and browned nicely anyway.


After 5 minutes, I lowered the oven temperature to 400F. I made sure the puffs were already puffed up by then.


Here they are!


All cheesy, puffed up ...


and hollow on the inside as they should be.



No comments:

Post a Comment